Sunday, February 26, 2023

Ronci delle Betulle Colli Orientali Friulo Friulano, 2016

Donna likes Pinot Grigio--herb-tinged Pinot Grigio from northern Italy. I prefer fuller bodied Pinot Gris from Alsace or Oregon. Since Pinot Grigio and Pinot Gris are the same grape, you would think we could agree, but no. Pinot Gris is usually perceived by Donna as too sweet; Pinot Grigio is perceived by me as too green or herbaceous. In trying to bridge the gap, I have been buying some Friulano from northeastern Italy. Tonight, since we are having pasta with pesto and a green salad, this wine is the right choice.

Clear, bright yellow with some green tints. Green apple, unripe pears and green herbs. More body and mid-palate fruit than your average Pinot Grigio. Good acidity and a medium long finish. Still too green for me, but I can live with it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment