Thursday, September 15, 2022

Domaine Schlumberger Tokay d'Alsace (Pinot Gris), 1975

That is not a typo; this white wine is now 47 years old...and still very much alive. Tokay d'Alsace is a term for Pinot Gris wine used many years ago in Alsace. The term is more archaic than what is in the bottle.

Bright golden yellow. The bottle has significant ullage, but I find no detectable oxidized smells or flavors. Still fresh and lively. Ripe pear, melon, spice and a hint of honey. The acidity that I noted when it was young has kept it fresh but has toned down enough to leave a mellow, easy feeling on the palate. Rich and ripe, not sweet. Many subtle nuances on the long and satisfying finish.

I remember buying this wine from Village Corner in Ann Arbor in 1984 or 1985. It was already mature at that time, but Cheryl McMillan of the VC staff told me I would not be disappointed. I was not then and still am not. Wish I had more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment