Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Domaine des Baumard La Caleche, 2017

One of the best white wines I have ever tasted is Domaine des Baumard's Clos du Papillon Savennieres from 1982, which I had with dinner just a few weeks ago. So I quickly put this Baumard wine in my cart when I saw it offered at a closeout price of $11 at MegaBev (formerly Russo's) in Grand Rapids. La Caleche is Baumard's entry level, early drinking wine, 50% Chenin Blanc and 50% Chardonnay vinified in stainless steel to preserve its freshness and purity.

Deep gold, bright and lively. Very aromatic: peaches, apricots, flowers, minerals. Full bodied and rich. A good combination; Chardonnay sweetens the bitterness of young Chenin Blanc. Buttery flavors counter the grapefruit acidity. Peachy, honeyed fruit emerges as the wine warms. Don't serve this wine too cold; it is best at just a touch above room temperature. For $11 (or twice that much), it is a great bargain.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment