Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Vignerons de Mont Ventoux Cuvee des 3 Messes Basses Ventoux, 2018

I have been buying and enjoying Cuvee des 3 Messes Basses regularly for more than 30 years, and it is still one of my favorite every day wines. I loved the price when I could buy a full case for less than $40, but even at today's price (about $12 a bottle), it is still a tremendous value. It is traditional, authentic and delicious.

Bright ruby, no bluish, purple or other signs of new oak. This is a traditional Southern Rhone, and that's why I love it. A burst of fresh strawberries, then spice and cracked black pepper. The blend this year is 60% Grenache, 20% Carignan and 20% Syrah. Each grape has its own peppery spice profile when grown in the Southern Rhone, and the combination is very pleasing to my palate. Remarkably long finish for a $12 wine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment