Monday, January 13, 2020

Laurus Cotes du Rhone Villages, 2011

Côtes du Rhône Villages Rouge 2011 - LaurusThe fresh-berry aromas coming from the bottle when I first popped the cork told me I had an old-fashioned Cotes du Rhone, a type of wine that I love. Within a short time, though, I discovered that this Laurus CDR Villages from Gabriel Meffre is not as traditional as I had hoped. As the label indicated it was aged for nine months in a "specially designed 275 liter Laurus barrique." And the alcohol level is 15%--appropriate for an internationally styled wine.

That said, I did enjoy the wine. It is now nearly nine years of age (the label suggests four to five years potential aging), and the tannins are soft and friendly. Dark color, black fruit aromas and a concentrated mouth feel. The finish is long and reasonably complex. This wine clearly is made from high-quality Southern Rhone fruit, and I like it. But, knowing the modern approach, I will not be buying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment