Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Kangarilla Road McLaren Vale Shiraz, 2016

Finding good, inexpensive Australian wines (under $10 a bottle) is virtually impossible--at least in my markets. If you travel to Australia, you will find that budget wines in the shops are generally those priced at $20 to $30 a bottle. Vineyard workers in Australia are paid a decent wage--probably four to five times more than a comparable worker in California or Oregon. Winemakers I have talked to laugh at the idea of a $10 wine. "I can't give you an empty bottle with a label for that price," they say.

This Kangarilla Road Shiraz, selling for $13.99 at Costco, is one of the best values I have seen in quite awhile. Away from Costco, I suspect it might cost $20 to $25, and, even at that price, it is a good value for an Australian Shiraz.

Very deep and dark. Blue plums, blackberries and spicy oak. This is a big wine but not overly ripe or alcoholic. Well defined fruit flavors and ripe tannins that go down easily. I will buy more but I will wait a year or two for prime enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment