Friday, April 5, 2019

Cuvee des 3 Messes Basses Rouge Cotes du Ventoux, 2014

This is not a great wine that has been stored away in the cellar for many years and pulled out for a special occasion. In fact, it is made by a cooperative of small growers, Les Vignerons du Mont Ventoux, who banded together in 1924 to pool their resources and make a living from their vineyards. I have bought this wine, usually in case quantity, for decades and know I can count on it for enjoyable every day drinking. My experience has taught me that you need a good supply of wines like this to keep you happy while you are stashing away great Barolo and Chateauneuf du Pape. While the price tag might read $10, its value to me is high.

Deep crimson, clearly a Rhone blend (50% Grenache, 30% Carignan, 20% Syrah) made in the traditional style that I love. Strong fruit presence with pepper, spice and herbs. At five years of age, the wine is fresh, lively and well balanced. Has all that I love and expect from a Southern Rhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment