Sunday, November 20, 2016

Monte Degli Angeli Piemonte Pinot Noir, 2013

You don't see many Pinots from the Piedmont area of Italy, but the grape should take well to the cool, high altitude climate. I like this inexpensive ($10/bottle) Piedmont Pinot.

I usually expect a burst of aroma when I pop the cork on a Pinot Noir but got virtually nothing from this one. Oh well, Piedmont wines generally need some air, and this wine's aroma becomes better and better over the next half hour. Cherries and spices. On the palate, the wine is not as delicate as I expect from Pinot Noir but it is rich and satisfying. Reminds me more of a Barbera than a Pinot Noir. Nothing overdone and a pleasing finish.

I suspect that this wine might benefit from aging, but it will probably not get that chance from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment