Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Parducci Small Lot Blend Mendocino Pinot Noir, 2013

This wine ordinarily sells for $13 to $15 a bottle, but Harding's Market in Kalamazoo has a "special purchase" price of $8.69. Even at the higher price, it's a fantastic value--several cuts above your typical inexpensive Pinot Noir.

The label is classy. I was attracted by the Mendocino appellation, and the "small lot blend" designation. But there were 43,000 cases produced, so it's hardly an artisan wine. I don't know where the vineyards are located (probably around the winery in Ukiah), but it does have many of the traits that I love about Russian River Pinot Noir.

Medium light ruby. Beautiful scents, particularly on the second night: flowers, wild raspberries, cedar and French oak. Smooth Pinot texture and flavor interest that keeps me sipping for nearly half an hour. Not at all sweet--even compared to the Marsannay I had last week. Intense Pinot fruit and spice on the ginger end of the spectrum. Very pleasing touch of Pinot black pepper on the finish. I think I will go back for more. I don't think this wine is a long ager, but it should do fine over the next five or six years.

No comments:

Post a Comment