Saturday, August 13, 2016

Tasting at Good Harbor Vineyards, Leelanau Peninsula, Michigan

In the past, I have preferred the Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay from Good Harbor Vineyards, located just south of Leland on the Leelanau Peninsula of Michigan. This time, I really liked the 2012 Dry Riesling. Very aromatic with flowers and only a hint of petrol. Peach-oriented flavors but fresh and racy.

The Gruner Veltliner (2011) seems to be getting better as the vines mature. Has the white pepper/wax beans qualities that are common in Gruners from Austria. At $19 a bottle, though, I'm sure I could find much better value.

The Tribute Chardonnay (2013) is barrel fermented and aged a year in French Oak. It has attractive lime/oak aromas and flavors but is a bit oaky for my taste. I prefer the regular Chardonnay (2013) which does a better job of showcasing the apple/citrus Chardonnay fruit. This is my kind of Chardonnay.

2014 Pinot Noir: I would have been happier if I had skipped this wine. It looks like a Pinot Noir but doesn't smell or taste like one. Maybe some ripe cherry but also some yeasty flavors on the finish that are not very appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment