Thursday, August 18, 2016

2 Lads Old Mission Peninsula: A Candidate for Great Michigan Red?

2 Lads is the northernmost winery on Old Mission Peninsula, and the view of both bays from the hilltop winery is spectacular. It's worth a visit for the view alone, but the wines are also good.

The 2015 Chardonnay was fermented in half stainless steel and half 630 gallon French oak tanks. And the result is a delicious Chardonnay that captures the flavors of a good unoaked Chardonnay. Some oak smells and flavors but mostly fresh, clean Chardonnay fruit. I like it.

The 2015 Riesling, like those of previous vintages shows spicy, limey, mint traits that I associate more with Gewurztraminer than Riesling. Again, I like it.

My favorite, though, is the 2013 Cabernet Franc, which ranks as my No. 1 Michigan red--at least for this trip. It has beautiful smells of wild cherries and berries with smokey spice and vanilla. There is good structure here, but the wine is very friendly for drinking right now. Reminds me a bit of a good Chinon from the Loire Valley. And, really, isn't that the kind of red wine that Michigan is most capable of producing?


No comments:

Post a Comment