Friday, March 4, 2016

Domaine Galevan Le Puy Saint Martin Vin de Pays Vaucluse, 2012

A day or two ago, Jon Rimmerman of Garagiste.com offered the 2013 Le Puy Saint Martin for $9 plus a bottle. His post reminded me that I had a bottle or two of the 2012 vintage of this wine in my cellar and that I should open one to see how it is doing.

Deep ruby. The color, the smells, the flavors are all different from those I have come to expect from a Vaucluse Vin de Pays. That's because there is some old vine Cabernet Sauvignon in the blend, along with the usual Grenache and Syrah. Very different. Perfumed smells of flowers, herbs and red currants. On the palate, I taste some blue plums and black tea. Very much like a young Bordeaux from one of the satellite appellations--but with Cabernet rather than Merlot as the dominant trait. Fine tannins and fresh acidity. I like this wine. But probably not enough to place an order for the 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment