Monday, September 14, 2015

Kirkland Signature Cotes du Rhone Villages, 2013

I like to shop at Costco, and I have found good values in the wine department. Wines such as the Au Contraire Russian River Chardonnay and the Perrin Vinsobres Les Cornuds are priced 25 to 40 percent lower than at other stores I have visited. The bargain wines, though, have the Costco Kirkland Signature label, and this is the first one that really appealed to me. The price: $6.99. And it's a Cotes du Rhone Villages, not just a simple Cotes du Rhone. On the label, I find that it's made by Patrick Lesec, a respected name.

The wine has good deep color and the initial smells are inviting. Black fruits, spice and pepper. Shows more Syrah than Grenache. Same on the palate. Over the course of the evening, though, I find a leathery trait in the finish that I associate with brettanomyces. It's not quite barnyard but bordering on it. I'm probably wrong; it may just be Mourvedre that needs some time. But at least at this stage of its development, this wine does not appeal to me. Maybe I will give it another try in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment