Sunday, May 19, 2013

Perrin & Fils Cotes du Rhone Villages Rasteau L'Andeol, 2004

Someone posting a note on the internet declared this wine "over the hill," but without any explanation. Based on my experience with this bottle, I disagree. The color is a deep crimson, and it has strong fruit qualities (dark cherries, blackberries) as well as secondary characteristics of black licorice, dark Rasteau minerals, spice and peppercorn. Has a very smooth finish and is at least as good as the last bottle of Perrin & Fils Rasteau I had a couple of years ago.

I generally feel that the dark traits are a bit aggressive in a young Rasteau but become more complex and enjoyable when the wine has some bottle age, as this one has. In fact, some of the best Rasteau I have tasted have been more than 10 years of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment