Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cotes du Rhone Villages Valreas Cuvee Prestige (Vignerons de l'Enclave des Papes), 2007

This is a wine I look for every time I enter a Trader Joe's story. And every time I am surprised that it is still available for only $5.99. This is not a simple Cotes du Rhone but a CDR Villages from a good appellation. And even though it is produced by a cooperative, it is always well made in a traditional style that I love.

The color of this 2007 is a deep ruby, and the smells and flavors confirm that this wine is still going and growing. Black fruits shading to red with Provencal spices and black pepper. Good depth of fruit. Everything as it should be. At least at this page, I prefer this wine to many labels from Gigondas, Vacqueyras and Rasteau. 75% Grenache and 25% Syrah, but the structure is what you'd expect from a higher percentage of Syrah.

I've been buying this Valreas since the 2001 vintage and yet to be disappointed. The vintage on the shelves right now at Trader Joe's is probably the 2010 or 2009. Whichever it is, there is no need to worry about drinking it right away.

1 comment:

  1. Very good Cotes du Rhone wine! I agree - one of my favorites for price quality at Trader Joe's. Not heavy but still plenty of character.

    ReplyDelete