Wednesday, October 31, 2012

El Chaparral de Vega Sindoa Navarra Old Vines Garnacha, 2010

I've noticed several wines claiming to be the "best Spanish Grenache for less than $10"; and most of the claims are valid. My candidate is this wine, which admittedly sells for a bit more (I paid $12.99). It has definite old vine qualities that you ordinarily find only in wines selling for much more.

The color is deeper and darker than you might expect from Grenache. That could be a sign that some of the wine was aged in barriques, but I doubt it. Everything else about this wine speaks of traditional winemaking. Powerful old viney aromas--dark cherries, nutmeg, cinnamon, black fruits. A bit gamey but that is part of the package. Falls into a pattern established by the Cairanne and Chateauneuf du Pape described below. Full and meaty on the palate. Steers a little too far toward raisins on the finish, but that doesn't turn me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment