Saturday, March 24, 2012

Les Trois Couronnes Cotes du Rhone, 2009

I bought and enjoyed several bottles of the 2007 Les Trois Couronnes Cotes du Rhone. At $6.99, it was one of the least expensive Southern Rhones of the 2007 vintage and a decent, traditionally made wine. This 2009 is several notches higher in quality, in my opinion, and I understand that the 2010 is even better. The price, though, may have increased a bit, at least in some areas.

On first opening, the wine is beautifully aggressive: pepper, spice and fruit in good proportions. Good depth and strength. The blend is 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah, but I sense some earthy, spicy qualities that I ordinarily expect from Carignane. 2009 Les Trois Couronnes is very ripe but has good pepper and spice for balance and a racy finish. On the second and third nights, the wine is rounder and riper, more like the 2007. It should age for another year or two, but I like the vigor it brings to the table right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment