Thursday, September 9, 2010

La Clape Coteaux du Languedoc Rouge des Karantes, 2007

This is another 2007 wine from Southern France that I have mixed feelings about. The color is a deep ruby and the wine smells tannic--skins and pips rather than oak. Within a few minutes, the aromas open up a bit: black- and blueberries with Mourvedre purple flowers but no Grenache red fruit at this stage. I think it's alcohol (14%) more than tannin that keeps the wine stand-offish on the palate, and my initial impression is that it has enough fruit to carry it once it gets past an awkward stage. Right now, though, it reminds me more of the Grand Prieur than the Delas Saint Esprit (see below), and I am not impressed.

2007 in Southern France has been touted as a vintage of the century, but, at this point, I've gotten much more pleasure from 2005. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment