Thursday, January 8, 2009

Frei Brothers Redwood Creek Sauvignon Blanc, 2007

This is a bargain Sauvignon Blanc ($5.49) I bought on the recommendation of Dick Scheer of Village Corner in Ann Arbor (http://www.villagecorner.com/). Light in color, fresh and lively, it's a wine for drinking now--although I hope I'll have a few bottles left for next Spring and Summer in the back yard. It has good Sauvignon Blanc character with passion fruit, melon and pears. Nothing green, nothing tart about this wine. Dick correctly pegged it as Loire-like in its aroma and flavor profile, although I find it a tad sweeter than most Loire Sauvignons. I think many will find that combination to be just exactly what they're looking for.

While the special pricing may have expired, the wine is widely available for $6 to $8. I'm looking forward to drinking it frequently over the weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment