Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Lange Willamette Valley Classique Chardonnay, 2019

I learned about the Lange Winery from Brian Doyle's excellent book, "The Grail: A year ambling and shambling through an Oregon vineyard in search of the best pinot noir wine in the whole wild world." I was impressed with the lone bottle of Lange Pinot that I bought since reading the book, and I am equally impressed with this Classique Chardonnay. The least expensive of several Chardonnays made at the estate, the Classique is produced from free run juice fermented and aged, according to the estate, in "mostly stainless steel and neutral puncheons" and without malolactic fermentation. From the Dijon clone of Chardonnay, it has the briskness and complexity that I love in Oregon Chardonnay.

Medium gold. Intense smells and flavors of melon, slightly ripe apricots, grilled peaches, lemon zest and brioche. Can a Chardonnay be rich and steely at the same time? Sounds contradictory, but this wine seems to span the gap. Good body, brisk acidity, persistent finish. I love this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment