Monday, February 28, 2022

Domaine Sainte-Anne Cotes du Rhone Villages Saint Gervais, 2004

Now entering its 18th year, this wine doesn't owe me anything. I have had many very good bottles over the years even if the last several have started showing signs of aging. This bottle, it seems to me, is a bit better than the last one I had.

The color has lightened and lost its sheen. There is an unpleasant singed smell, like charred wood that wasn't present (or I didn't notice) a few years ago. But there are also some pleasant fruit smells and flavors. And I like the Mourvedre-spiced red berry finish.

Saint Gervais is my favorite (and the most expensive) bottling of Domaine Sainte Anne, and it generally ages well (the 2000 and the 2005 are drinking beautifully). And, if you are not into aging wine, current vinrtages of Saint Gervais are well worth the $20 to $25 price tag. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment