Monday, June 21, 2021

Lucien Barrot Chateuneuf du Pape, 1989

 

I remember reading a note from a wine merchant several years ago, saying, in effect, "having a bottle of Lucien Barrot Chateauneuf in the cellar is like having a Van Gogh painting in your attic." I would agree with this assessment; every bottle of Lucien Barrot I have had (mostly from the 1988 and 1989 vintages) has been an ageless work of art. 

Once deep and dark crimson, the color is now a brick red with good brilliance and saturation. Savory bouquet of dried strawberries on a bed of aromatic herbs and a hint of tobacco. Intense flavors--ripe berries, fresh and dried. Has the delicate texture of a fine Pinot Noir combined with the strength and power of a Chateauneuf du Pape. Pleasure that lingers long after the wine is swallowed. This is my last bottle of 1989 but I have 1998, 2007 and 2010 to anticipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment