Saturday, July 13, 2019

Villadoria Bricco Magno Langhe Nebbiolo, 2013

Villadoria Nebbiolo Bricco Magno 2014According to the producer, this wine is made in an "international style" with small oak barrels being used for the initial phase of aging. The juice is then moved to barrels of various sizes until "it achieves the right aroma-flavour balance." For me, this international style is usually a red flag, and the 2010 vintage of this wine did not receive a very good rating from my most trusted authority on Italian wines, Kerin O'Keefe of the Wine Enthusiast. I am glad I tried it, though; it was a very pleasant surprise.

From the first sniff, this wine displayed the Piedmont Nebbiolo scents that I love--dark cherry, licorice, aromatic flowers. Intense and powerful. In the mouth, the wine is even more impressive. Oak tannins as well as fruit tannins but they tend to frame rather than overwhelm the very fine Nebbiolo fruit.

Even at its retail price of $18 to $20, I find it a very good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment