Sunday, December 13, 2015

Good Harbor Vineyards Leelanau Peninsula Pinot Grigio, 2012

Whenever I go to the Leelanau Peninsula to taste wine, Good Harbor is always one of my stops. I like the no-nonsense tasting room where I always get good information about the wines and usually have a chance to chat with the owner--the widow of the late Bruce Simpson, who was one of first to establish vineyards in Leelanau. The Simpsons are a family--as ours is--that believes in drinking wine every night with dinner. "If I had to pay $30 a bottle, we simply couldn't afford that," she told me. That is the philosophy that guides our family as well. Wine is part of a healthy lifestyle--a daily pleasure, as important to me as exercising or eating oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast.

This Pinot Grigio was our favorite wine when we tasted there last summer, and it was on sale for about $10. Perfect. Tonight, the wine appears deeper in color than I expected, but it is not fading. The aromas and flavors are rich enough to suggest Pinot Gris rather than Pinot Grigio (same grape, different style of winemaking). But there is still plenty of freshness and fruit--a mouthwatering wine. There is a slight "leesy" quality, from time spent resting on it spent yeast cells or lees. This is a particularly good Pinot Grigio, and I'm looking forward to future bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment