Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso, 2008

Most Sicilian wines you see on the market are inexpensive and unremarkable. Those from the volcanic soils and higher altitude around Mount Etna tend to be expensive. This Rosso from Tenuta delle Terre Nere, which can be found in a few shops for $12 to $16, provides an intriguing entry point.

The wine was sold to me as a red Burgundy look alike, and I think of fine Pinot Noir every time I try it. Beautiful ruby color, medium deep. Clear and brilliant. Yes, it smells like a fine red Burgundy--Nuits St. George?? Wild berries, Pinot spice, no hard edges. Lovely wild berry flavors. Delicate, not light, with a very long finish. I've had this wine for three years, and it's getting better. I'm not sure about long-term cellaring, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment