Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Francis Ford Coppola Votre Sante Chardonnary, 2009

The label presents this as a "Burgundian style wine" made from California grapes. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I like the result.

I smell Granny Smith apple, lemon and mineral, fresh and bright. If there has been any oak used, the influence is clearly in the background. Very aromatic but without butter or tropical fruit. On the palate, the wine is medium to light bodied with a crisp, citric edge. It dances rather than plods across the palate. Reminds me of the 2006 Faively Montagny I enjoyed a few weeks ago. Now being sold for $9.99 at my local D&W Market, Votre Sante is a wine I could happily re-visit many times over the coming months.

As for being Burgundian, a little research revealed that the wine is made from the Dijon clone of Chardonnay. A whole cluster press is used followed by mainly stainless steel fermentation to minimize extraction and maintain the freshness of the fruit. Only a small part is fermented and aged in French oak to add complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment