Saturday, December 25, 2010

Domaine Chante Perdrix Chateauneuf du Pape, 1989

This was my Christmas present to myself, and what a present it was! I've had the 1989 Chante-Perdrix Chateauneuf du Pape several times over the past four or five years and have become convinced that it's one of the finest wines in my cellar.

The color is definitely fading with considerable bricky, amber tones. And it's easy to miss the subtle qualities in the mature bouquet--dried flowers, wild blueberries, exotic Asian spices. As before, my first impression is that the wine is fading, but the longer the bottle is opened, and the more I drink, the more I find to like. On the palate, the flavors are strong, fine-boned and persistent; yes, it seems to be made from rare, wild fruit. Very long, very ripe, very complex finish.

1 comment: