Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bodegas Ateca Atteca Old Vines Garnacha, 2008

This was a pleasing choice on the wine list at Every Day People Cafe in Douglas, MI. As a fan of old vine Garnacha from Calatayud in Spain, I was impressed by the powerful red and black fruit aromas and flavors--black cherries, raspberries, blueberries and Grenache spice. It's medium bodied and powerful because of the strength of the fruit, not the alcohol level, and it goes nicely with a grilled salmon dish.

Atteca Garnacha, which sells for about $12 to $15, is part of the Jorge Ordonez portfolio. The grapes come from 80- to 120-year old head pruned vines, aged for 10 months in seasoned French oak. My wife, who likes new oak more than I do, was first to notice the toasted, toffee/coffee traits that she loves but I ordinarily reject in a Grenache-based wine. To me, that's a sign that the wine should please New World as well as Old World wine tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment