Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Glazebrook Ngatarawa Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, 2005

The back label promises that this wine can be cellared for up to three years; the front label indicates that the wine was produced in 2005. And that may explain why this wine was placed on the close-out shelf of Harding's Market for $5.99. After one try, I decided it was a huge bargain and went back for more.

The color is still a light to medium yellow, and the aromas and flavors are fresh and lively. I find a good range of fruit flavors--melon, lemon, pineapple--and not very much of the vegetal green pepper qualities that are typical of some New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. What's most notable, though, is a pronounced mineral element, similar to that of the best Loire Valley Sauvignons. I would not hesitate putting this wine up against my favorite Sancerre--Domaine Daulny's Clos de Chaudenay. The label also suggests that the wine is "best served only slightly chilled," and I agree. As the wine warms, it gets smoother and more complex--a good sign. A many-splendored finish. Wish I had more.

No comments:

Post a Comment