Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blason de Bourgogne Pinot Noir, 2007

A red Burgundy for $7.99? The price tempted me to pluck this one off the shelf at Trader Joe's. The appearance when I first poured the wine told me I had made a mistake--even at that price--but I eventually changed my mind. This is an authentic Pinot Noir from the hallowed slopes around Beaune--light but enjoyable.

The color is so light that it's difficult to think of it as a red wine. And it's downright watery looking out at the rim. The initial smells are also a bit tart and wimpy, but with a few minutes in the glass the aromas open up nicely--cherries, earth and delicate Pinot Noir qualities. It's very slender but with just the right amount of ripeness on the finish. This is not a great wine but a pleasant sipping experience and definitely worth my $7.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment