Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Prince of Pinot Rules

During my recent fling with North Coast Pinot Noir, I keep running into tasting notes by the Prince of Pinot. Nearly any wine I seek information about, I can find it from the Prince of Pinot. Who is this masked rider?

Although his writing style strikes me as that of a younger man, the Prince of Pinot is actually another retired ophthalmologist, William "Rusty" Gaffney, M.D.,  who has decided to devote his life to writing about fine Pinot Noir. That's slightly less expensive than buying a vineyard in the Anderson Valley, as Dr. Larry Londer, another retired ophthalmologist, did.

Dr. Gaffney's web site, www.PrinceofPinot.com, has almost anything you might want to know about Pinot Noir, and he produces a monthly newsletter, PinotFile, that is one of the most informative I have ever read. What's more it is FREE! At the web site, you can download all the past issues and get on the mailing list to be notified when a new issue comes out. For the commercial newsletters--Burghound, The Wine Advocate, International Wine Cellar--PinotFile has to be a major headache. The Prince of Pinot clearly has beaucoup tasting experience, and his reviews seem to me to be right on target. I highly recommend the site and the publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment