Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Bois de Boursan Chateauneuf du Pape, 1989

This wine was drinking well when it was young--during the late 1990s--and I had several very enjoyable bottles at that time. Re-visiting the wine on Christmas day 2012, I found the same classic Bois de Boursan elements plus plus. This is a very fine Chateauneuf du Pape that shows no sign of fading.

Medium deep color. Warm, spicy bouquet. Garrigue and dark cherries. The spiciness of Mourvedre blended with the ripe berries of Grenache. Everything that I remember from a decade ago but now with additional depth and complexity. It is on the palate that this wine sings--silky smooth with sweet fruit flavors and a finish that doesn't want to quit. This is Chateauneuf du Pape at its best. Compared to the powerful, funky personality of Pegau, also near the top of my list, Bois de Boursan always seems delicate. Very different styles; I'll take both although at this point in time, Bois du Boursan clearly offers a better QPR--quality/price ratio.

I should mention that I have tasted several vintages of Bois de Boursan's better known prestige bottling, Cuvee Felix. There is no denying that it's a good wine, but I prefer the regular cuvee.

No comments:

Post a Comment