Monday, December 24, 2012

El Chaparral de Vega Sindoa Navarra Old Vines Garnacha, 2010

There is a story about this wine, from Food and Wine Magazine, that I have recounted before. About a New York City chef who loves the wine and the Spanish winemaker who showed her new ways of cooking. I'm a romantic and, having read the article, had to have a few bottles of the wine.

The color is deeper than to be expected from a Grenache wine. And there are other indications that it may have spent some time in French oak barriques. Very spicy nose with an emphasis on nutmeg. Also cherries and red berries. The label uses the term "extravagant," and I think that's a good descriptor for this wine. Rich and smooth, same spicy flavors come through on palate. Extravagant, yes. But having finished my third bottle, I'm less impressed than I was after the first bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment