Monday, March 8, 2021

Domaine du Marcoux Chateauneuf du Pape, 1990

This wine has given me a great deal of pleasure over the years. But what I have is in 375 ml bottles, and I had assumed that the two bottles left in the cellar had gone over the hill. Tonight's bottle revealed that there is still some pleasure left.

Medium light brick. Not much brilliance left. I gave it about an hour of aging but would not recommend more than that. Beautiful mature Grenache smells. Dried fruit, savory, salty, meaty. If you love mature Chateauneuf du Pape, as I do, you are going to love this wine. Not much tannin to obstruct the flavors and good acidity to keep it lively from the mid-palate to the lovely finish. So glad I have another little half bottle; but I should drink it soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment