Monday, March 15, 2021

Domaine du Mas de Rey Coeur de Camargue, 2015

When I walked into my local supermarket, Crosstown Fresh in Kalamazoo, I noticed two large grocery carts filled with wine bottles. "Wines 3 for $10," said the sign. I am never one to pass up a wine because it seems too cheap, and the labels told me that at least one was worth a try.

Very deep gold color but there is nothing else about the wine that suggests oxidation. Actually, the wine is quite fresh and lively. Blood orange, tangerine and minerals. Ripe, without the tang of Sauvignon Blanc, but plenty of citric acidity. The wine is a blend of 60% Chasan (which was created by crossing Chardonnay with Listan (Palomino in Spain), 20% Sauvignon and 20% Gros Manseng. Gros Manseng probably contributes to the deep gold color. An excellent Spring and Summer wine that should go well with salads or fresh vegetables.

Needless to say, I went back for another 9 bottles
 

No comments:

Post a Comment