Saturday, March 27, 2021

Chateau de Fieuzal Graves Blanc, 1983

I bought quite a few white Graves wines during the 1980s, and I expected them to age moderately well. My interest faded, though, and this bottle lingered in the cellar longer than I expected. As I near my 82nd birthday, I am focusing on older wines, and this bottle ended up being a good choice.

Rich, moderately deep yellow color. Color deepens only slightly as it is exposed to oxygen during the meal. Lanolin, figs, wax beans. The blend is 50% Semillon and 50% Sauvignon Blanc, but I don't detect any smells or flavors I associate with Sauvignon Blanc. Nor do I detect the French oak in which it was aged.  Full body, rich mouth feel and texture, even some tannin-again more Semillon than Sauvignon. Not great but a good dinner wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment