Thursday, September 4, 2008

Alsace Tokay Pinot Gris Cormier Etienne Loew, 2004

This bottle of Alsace Pinot Gris was quite a bit deeper in color than I remember the last bottle (July 14, 2008). It's definitely reached full maturity and with a lot of classic Pinot Gris qualities--honey, white peaches, almonds, more honey. It also seems sweeter than the last bottle, but I think that's because of the honeyed quality (botrytis?) rather than any residual sugar. The wine is rich and full on the palate but well balanced.

The deeper color, which seems to have come on overnight, concerns me a bit in a four-year-old Alsace wine. (I have Alsace wines from 1983 that look less mature.) But I like the wine and may have to enjoy it a bit more frequently than I had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment