Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Red Square Hawkes Bay Pinot Noir, 2004

This wine bills itself as "for the people," and I approve. The people deserve to drink good Pinot Noir and eat cake as well as baguettes.

This is real Pinot: medium to light garnet, with a wonderfully pungent nose, aromatic almost to the point of volatility. Very intense red and dark cherry fruit with unmistakeable Pinot Noir savor. Powerful but in a very delicate way--iron fist in a velvet glove. This reminds me of one of my favorite Pinots--the Louis Latour Pinot Noir Domaine de Valmoissine (February 3, 2008). It's hard to resist, and we didn't.

I bought my bottle of Red Square at Cost Plus World Market for $13.99. Valmoissine is regularly priced at $15.99 but is often on sale for $12.99.

1 comment:

  1. I think they named that "for the people," because that's the wine of people I mean of medium class, so I think the fermentation of that it's really good.

    ReplyDelete