Sunday, December 17, 2023

Vinha da Coutada Velha Alentejano Red Blend, 2020

If I had this wine at a blind tasting, I would never guess it is from Portugal. It looks, smells and tastes like a young (and expensive) Cabernet blend from California.. And I would never guess the price: $6.79 from Costco. It is 30% Temperanillo, 30% Trincadeira, 30% Syrah and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon aged in "used barrels." My guess is that these barrels have not been used enough to become neutral because there are oaky smells and flavors in the wine.

Purplish red, opaque. Very aromatic with a lush mouth feel. Blackberries, blue plums and cassis but also red berries and cherries. The contrast of red and black fruits adds some delightful tension. I detect a spicy, herbal component on the finish that is not really typical of any of the grapes used in the blend. It's an attractive trait, and I can see it becoming ever more prominent as the wine ages.

I bought this wine last summer, intending to try it to see if I should buy more. Unfortunately, I don't think it is still on the shelves of my local Costco.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment