Thursday, December 7, 2023

Famille Perrin Ventoux, 2020

I realize that many of the wines I report on these days are not "budget" wines. As I get older, my goal is to drink less but better. But there are nights, like tonight and last night, when a budget wine is the best choice. And I know of no better budget choice than these two wines: Franco Serra Barbera d'Alba ($10 to $12 in most stores) and Famille Perrin Ventoux ($6 from Plum Market in Ann Arbor and $10 to $12 elsewhere). I think the 2020 Perrin Ventoux we are drinking tonight is probably more delicious and meal friendly than other recent vintages from 2017 to 2021.

Bright medium dark crimson. Primary grapes for this wine are Carignan and Cinsult, but it still comes across to me as a very good Grenache-oriented wine. Fresh blueberries and strawberries plus fruit spice from the Carignan and Cinsault. Juicy and ripe with acidity that keeps me coming  back for sip after sip. As an accompaniment to penne pasta with a rich tomato sauce, this is perfect.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment