Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Badet Clement Pontificis GSM, 2015

Picking over the wines at the new Trader Joe's store in Kalamazoo, Pontificis GSM ($6.99) was one of my first selections. And I will go back soon to buy more.

When I saw "Badet Clement" on the label I knew pretty much that I wouldn't be disappointed. For the past several decades, I have enjoyed numerous low-priced Badet Clement wines from Tricastin and other Southern Rhone appellations. This GSM (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre) is a Southern Rhone blend from Languedoc Roussilon in Southern France. There is more Syrah (32%) here than in the typical Southern Rhone, and that results in a deeper color, fuller body and bolder fruit.

Deep, dark ruby. Unique spicy aromas, full and intense. Hints of menthol and aromatic herbs. More black and than red fruits; more plum than berries. The spicy personality carries over to the palate. Bold and intense. Very young now and from a good vintage. I look forward to enjoying this wine many times over the next three or four years.

Trader Joe's--WELCOME TO KALAMAZOO.

No comments:

Post a Comment