Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Les Vignerons de l'Enclave des Papes Cotes du Rhone Villages Valreas Prestige, 2012

As I drink this wine tonight, I am embarrassed to say that I opened it for cooking. After all, at $5.99, it's the least expensive red I could put my hands on. But it is certainly better than your every day cooking wine.

Fairly deep and dark ruby. The cuvee is 75% Grenache, 25% Syrah--perfect for my taste. Lavender, cassis and black fruits of Syrah with a friendly Grenache finish. Lots of black pepper and a touch of Provencal herbs. Just keeps getting better, even on the third and fourth night.

Even at Trader Joe's, this wine is a fantastic bargain that is easy to overlook. The label mentions candied fruit aromas and flavors, and when it's young, the flavors are ripe and upfront. It's unpretentious but by no means simple. It is a CDR Villages, after all, from a very good appellation.

No comments:

Post a Comment