Saturday, December 12, 2015

Chateau Pesquie Terrasses Ventoux, 2010

Now this is more like it. Compared to what a Ventoux red should be, this is much closer than the Les Amidyves of Olivier B. (below). But it's still not what I really want or like. The wines, they are a-changing. And I guess I'm going to have to get used to it.

70% Grenache, 30% Syrah, it's deep and dark. But the bright crimson of Grenache is still visible. More blue plums and dark cherries than red berries, but that's alright. Also pepper and spice from the fruit. It's a medium bodied, friendly wine but still too high in alcohol (14%) for a Ventoux. Unfortunately, that seems to have become the style in the Southern Rhone (and most places in the world). Grenache takes well to high alcohol when the yields are miniscule, as they are in Chateauneuf du Pape or even Gigondas. But high alcohol Syrah is too sharp and angular for me.

At $15, Terrasses is about the same price as Les Amidyves. I'll try Font-Sane or the coop wines soon to see if they come closer to what I want (for about half that price).

No comments:

Post a Comment