Saturday, November 28, 2015

Paul Jaboulet Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert, 1980

The 1980 vintage was universally bad or mediocre in most wine producing areas of the world. My bottles of Jaboulet's Hermitage la Chapelle were over the hill more than a decade ago (I may have bought poorly transported or stored bottles since recent reports of la Chapelle from Cellar Tracker have been much more positive). My 1980 Domaine Thalabert Crozes-Hermitage has been good from day one (and better than la Chapelle). Tonight's bottle, at age 35, once again is excellent.

Good dark color, not much bricking, but lots of crusty sediment on the sides of the bottle. The bouquet is classic Thalabert: black fruits, lavender, anise and black olives. I love the black olive element that I have noted in some of my favorite Northern Rhone wines. Rich and full on the palate; nothing dramatic but seems to touch and tantalize every taste bud in my mouth. Not as good as the 1982 or 1983 Thalabert but still very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment