Sunday, May 24, 2015

Red Door Cellars Oregon Pinot Noir, 2010

I bought this wine from Jon Rimmerman at Garagiste.com. It was very inexpensive ($10 or less) and has only Oregon as an appellation. Some reviews on Cellar Tracker were negative, so my expectations were not high.

The color is so light that a one-sip pour in the glass is nearly transparent. Strawberries and spice--light but nice. The negative Cellar Tracker reviewer apparently likes his wines darker and more tannic. I've read that the secret to good Pinot Noir is the spice, and I agree. This wine has the kind of spice I like--cranberries, sour cherries, a touch of ginger. (None of the cinnamon and pie spices that I find disagreeable in Pinot wines from Monterey County.) Light body but plenty of substance. The more I drink, the more eagerly I come back for more. Great smells, great flavors, great acidity. It's not for everyone, but it's my kind of Pinot Noir. Wish I had bought more.

No comments:

Post a Comment