Sunday, May 24, 2015

Olivares Altos de la Hoya Jumilla Monastrell, 2009

I loved this Jumilla Monastrell when it was first released and put away a couple of bottles to see how well it ages. The only thing I discovered is that it's holding well.

Very dark and bluish. French oak barriques, I believe. I smell vanilla, violets, black fruits, coffee and dark chocolate. Ripe, creamy smooth with a long finish. Very dark chocolate. French oak has been very, very good to this wine. The Jumilla old vine Monastrell traits are lurking underneath and will undoubtedly make this wine a revelation to drink...in 10 to 15 years. I'm not sure I want to wait that long, and there are plenty of unoaked and lightly oaked Spanish Monastrells on the market to satisfy my immediate appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment