Sunday, July 20, 2014

Jean-Luc Colombo Les Abeilles Cotes du Rhone, 2010

Everything about this wine looked perfect. 2010 is a very good Cotes du Rhone vintage; Jean-Luc Colombo is a respected producer of Cornas from the Northern Rhone; the blend was approximately equal parts of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre; and the price was right--$8.99 with the chance to bring that down 20% on a six-pack wine sale day at D&W Market. I was ready to jump for 6 or even 12 bottles, but I wanted to taste it first. And I'm glad I did.

The color is deep and dark. Plenty of Syrah and Mourvedre. Good cherry-tinged fruit that is reasonably accessible but seems muted for a Cotes du Rhone. Where is the spice? Where the black pepper? Seems like an international style wine. Generic red, probably some new oak or small barrels. Good wine if you like that type of thing, but it's not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment