Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Greenwood Ridge Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, 1999

The more I try Anderson Valley Pinot Noirs, the more enamored I become--especially those with a little bottle age. I bought this at auction for a fraction of its retail price, presumably because other buyers were not sure a California Pinot would keep this long. I took a chance and am glad I did.

Medium light ruby, with some shading to brown along the edges. On the first pour, I suspected it might be just a bit over the hill. But no. Initially, the smells were very pretty and very much in line with other Pinots from Anderson Valley I have tried: cherries, cranberries, spice and earth. Not too ripe. Over time, the bouquet just keeps getting better and more complex. On the palate, there is more of the same. Pleasing tartness of wild berries. Spice without sweetness. Just keeps getting better. Clinging finish. Fifteen years is not too much to expect from a Greenwood Ridge Pinot Noir. Wish I had more.

No comments:

Post a Comment