Sunday, January 29, 2012

Water Wheel Memsie Bendigo Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon/Malbec, 2006

I paid a bit more ($16.95) for this bottle than I ordinarily spend for an every day wine, but the Bleasdale blend I had last week intrigued me. Shiraz/Cabernet (with Shiraz as the dominant player) is an Aussie tradition, usually as a fruit-forward every day wine. The addition of a small amount of Malbec is a new twist (for me, anyway). I like what the Malbec cherry tones add to the finish.

Very deep, bluish color. And it smells like the Bleasdale--dark berries, chocolate, coffee and oak. My wife gets meaty smells, like the juices of a seared steak. Very ripe and full on the palate, particularly in the middle. (That is one reason winemakers like this blend: Shiraz fills the doughnut hole on the mid-palate that is characteristic of Australian Cabernet.) Malbec cherry on the finish adds a bit of elegance to an otherwise almost jammy wine. I also detect some Cabernet currants and cassis on the finish. Very similar to the Bleasdale. The blend is 87% Shiraz, 7% Cabernet, 6% Malbec. 14.5% alcohol doesn't create any noticeable until the second night, but I would not consider this a wine for aging.

1 comment:

  1. (That is one reason winemakers like this blend: Shiraz fills the doughnut hole on the mid-palate that is characteristic of Australian Cabernet.)

    That's a great point, Fred, and one that never occurred to me until reading that. Australian Cab always reminded me of California Merlot - just that hollow "nothingness" going on in the middle.

    ReplyDelete