Sunday, June 1, 2008

Yecla Carro, Senioria de Barahonda, 2006

I've read some positive reports of this wine and decided to give it a try. I found it to be far more serious than suggested by its low price ($6 to $8) and simple orange label (with a drawing of a "carro" or cart).

The wine clearly has a good dose of Mourvedre (or Monastrell as it is known in Spain), as evidenced by its deep, dark purple-tinged color and its reticent nose of violets and black fruit. Also plenty of spicy smells and flavors. Either the wine or my taste buds are a bit closed tonight and I get some chewy tannins on the palate...but also loads of promise for the future. This is a wine I'd like to come back to with just a few more months of aging. It's widely available, and the price is unbelievable, given the obvious quality of the fruit and winemaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment